Here is a great and healthy recipe to try at home.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 carrots (300g), grated
150g cup mushrooms, finely chopped
140g tub no-added-salt tomato paste
400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
2 zucchini (280g), grated
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
250g wholemeal pasta (penne or twists)
425g can tuna in springwater, drained
120g cherry bocconcini
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until onion is light golden.
- Add carrot and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables have sof-tened.
- Add tomato paste. Stir over heat a further 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, water, stock cube and oregano. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in zucchini and basil.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large, deep pan of boining water as directed on packet, until just tender (al dente). Drain. Return to same pan.
- Add vegetable sauce and tuna to pasta. Stir to combine. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Top with bocconcini.
- Bake in a hot oven (200C) for 20-25 minutes or until top is light golden. Garnish with extra basil leaves, if desired. Serve with a leafy salad.
Tasks for kids:
- Grate carrot and zucchini (with adult supervision)
- Measure oregano leaves
- Top mixture with bocconcini (Step 5)
- Garnish with basil leaves (Step 6)
Tip: Refrigerate any leftovers in containers. Reheat to serve, or eat chilled as a tasty pasta salad. Great for packed lunches.
Nutrients per serve
Total Fat 10g
Saturated Fat 3.9g
Monosaturated Fat 3.6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4g